Monday, June 04, 2007

Yeah I posted Again!

So this weekend was amazing because of an epic Saturday.

I saw the Deftones at the Electric factory and it basically changed my life. For those of you who've never heard of the band here's their myspace page

We parked the car in this back lot that is shielded from view and is all fenced off, this where EVERY DRUG KNOWN TO MAN WAS OFFERED TO US. There were guys with tanks blowing up balloons for kids to whippets, I was offered 8 balls, coke, opium and finally mushrooms before getting into the place. Then the cops would randomly cruise through and everyone would turn around or leave.

I get in and the place has a pretty awesome set up, and some how they made it so that despite being hundreds of people back i felt like I was right up front. Maybe it's been awhile since I've been to a show that wasn't at a church or an elks club. We had awesomely missed the entire opening act that was Fall of Troy and got there just as they were setting up for the Deftones. The stage set up was nuts. First there was this sort of table thing set up in the front for Chino to stand on. Behind the band was a mammoth LED Screen with a minimal amount of pixels that would play disparate clips of pin-up girls, parts of movies and experimental film clips. They had some lights that made a pattern on the wall. A million robot lights that were cool and they had a shit ton of strobes all around the rigging of the stage that were pointed at the audience, on certain notes or crecendoes these would blast the audience.

The thing about the deftones is that:
1. Nothing sounds like them
2. they have one of the widest range of audience of any band I like
3. They don't get anywhere as much recognition as they deserve

To me they seem like a Pink Floyd of my generation, whereas Pink Floyd melded Black American Blues music with Rock n' Roll, the Deftones merge Hip Hop with Alt-Metal and both of them then merge those influences with a heavy amount of experimentation.

It was the best show I've ever been to, and I've seen a lot of shows. But I've never everyone in the place dancing and I've never seen such a wide audience.
Another thing about the deftones is that they have this canyonesque gamut of people who listen tot hem. Black Hi Hop kids, latino cholos, hot girls of many different backgrounds, hardcore/metal kids, trashy rock kids, hippie-ish kids. I go to hardcore and metal shows where everyone looks relatively the same, post-rock might have more of a fluctuation in their audience but for the most part I go to shows where people look like a version of me, here there were totally different people all dance together and having this shared experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home